Friday 10 June 2011

Mineral Makeup Review

As promised, here's my reviews of the BareMineral Foundation, e.l.f Mineral Foundation, and Physician's formula Mineral Wear Powder.

1. BareMinerals Original SPF 15 Foundation

Starting off with the BareMinerals one, here's what they say on their website:

Our ORIGINAL SPF 15 Foundation gives you all the flawless coverage you want with a naturally luminous finish that won't clump or cake. It's clinically proven to improve the appearance of your skin over time. The creamy minerals diminish the look of fine lines and wrinkles without drying out your skin. Its silky, soft texture looks like a powder, but feels like a cream and buffs on beautifully. Made with only the purest, highest quality ingredients. It's makeup so pure you can sleep in it.®

I would have to say this is my favourite out of all three.  I purchased the kit, which includes the Original in Fair and Fairly Light.  I tried both, and decided that the "Fair" matches my skintone better.  The foundation container is the best among them because it has a a good lid that prevents product from spilling or getting all over the place, which tends to happen quite often with powder makeup.  All you have to do is twist the lid to open it up and twist it back the opposite direction to close.  Neat and tidy =)


swivel lid


The BareMineral makeup provides really good coverage ~ buildable from sheer to full coverage.  It was extremely comfortable and lightweight, so it didn't even feel like I had foundation on.  The best part was that it looked so natural! It had a no makeup look, but my pores and redness were smoothed out!  I tend to prefer the medium coverage, without looking cakey or fake.  Another worry that I tend to have is how the makeup looks like applied in bright sunlight. Most liquid foundations tend to make makeup look very obvious in sunlight, but this powder foundation looked absolutely natural in sunlight!  This powder also didn't give me any breakouts or cause any reactions for my skin. It wasn't cakey at all and just naturally smoothed out my skin ^o^ ~


My verdict:

Overall: 10/10 Flawless natural look with buildable coverage
Coverage: 10/10 Best part is that I can choose to go sheer, or apply more layers for a medium to full coverage!
Comfort: 10/10 Very lightweight and didn't feel like I had makeup on at all. It's healthy for my skin as well, and I don't have to worry about sleeping with it on
Oil Control: 9/10 Became a bit oily halfway through the day, but it's not a problem at all with a bit of powder touchups 
Price: 8/10 a little on the pricey side, but it's worth it! 1 jar lasts for a very long time ~




2. E.l.f Mineral Foundation


This product taught me never to judge anything by its price.  Super affordable for its quality ~ I got this for $2.50 USD when it was on sale.  Where can you get makeup this cheap these days?! I read a lot of great reviews about this product and seeing how even Oprah recommended this brand *laughs*, I decided to give it a shot. 

From their website:


Our weightless mineral foundation will help get you on your way to healthier illuminating skin. Infused with key Vitamin E for rich antioxidants that hydrate and replenish the skin. All our powders blend naturally into the skin, and are so light that they work with your skin color to create a perfect color match. All of our foundations contain sun protection factor (spf) 15 and are 100% mineral based with no parabens, no preservatives and no chemical dyes.


e.l.f Mineral Foundation in "Fair"


First of all, the feeling this one gave is similar to the BareMinerals one in how lightweight and breathable it feels like with it on.  The coverage is much more sheer, although buildable to a medium coverage.  Shine control was ok ~ my skin became slightly more oily during the day, when compared with having BareMinerals on.  It also didn't last as long as I would like, although reapplying some powder during the day really helps.  Still, for the price... I would have to say this one is very similar in quality to the BareMinerals foundation, and a LOT cheaper =)




comparison of the size difference

The container wasn't as great as well.  I accidentally dropped it once and when i opened the lid, the powder was all over the place and got quite messy ~


My verdict:

Overall: 9/10 Great quality for it's price!
Coverage: 8/10 Sheer coverage that covered up flaws without looking cakey or fake
Comfort: 10/10 Very lightweight and didn't feel like I had makeup on at all.
Oil Control: 8/10 Became quite oily halfway through the day
Price: 10/10 Where can you find $2.50 foundation these days?? xD


3. Physicians's Formula Mineral Wear Loose Powder


I wanted to review a drugstore brand of mineral powder foundation and decided to go with Physician's Formula. Here's what they say from their website:


Description
  • For extra sensitive or breakout-prone skin!
  • Minimalist formula helps reduce irritation and breakout.
  • Offers the performance and coverage of a foundation with the blendability and natural finish of a loose powder in one easy step.
  • Innovative sifter lid helps contain mess.
  • Brush snaps in place for ease of use and convenient storage. 


Physician's Formula Mineral Wear Loose Powder in Translucent Light

I would have to say this one's my least favourite out of all three.  The coverage was so sheer that it didn't even look like I applied anything.  Even though I layered on several layers, it still look like nothing changed.  This product is more suitable to use as a finishing powder than a foundation.  My face also became very oily in no time and the sheer coverage became no coverage very soon as well =(


My verdict:

Overall: 7/10 Relatively good powder foundation, but I prefer more coverage
Coverage: 6/10 Very very sheer so I probably wonn't be using this as a foundation, perhaps as a finishing powder 
Comfort: 10/10 Comfortable, lightweight and didn't feel like I had makeup on at all.
Oil Control: 6/10 Not very good oil control
Price: 9/10 reasonable drugstore price


Overall, I would highly recommend purchasing BareMinerals Foundation.  It works wonders and my skin really did improve after using it for a while.  However, f you're on a budget, I would suggest the e.l.f Mineral Foundation, which is almost just as good =)


No comments:

Post a Comment